Re: [orca-list] Considering moving to Linux Ubuntu from macOS

Looking again at your requirements ...

Alonzo cuellar writes:

On 11/18/2016 9:47 AM, James AUSTIN wrote:
Bibliography

I keep a bib latex file managed through Bibdesk for searching. Is there anything similar for Linux?

Yes, and very well supported by both emacs and vim. Again, this is not
the graphical desktop, but the console approach on Linux.

There's at least one list participant here who authored and documented
their Ph.D. thesis using latex and bib.

Device support

I am writing this on an iPhone, is there any support for such devices on Linux?

What do you mean by "support?" Certainly you can access the same email
accounts on both platforms, and I'd wager there'd be no issue using ftp.
But, what do you mean exactly?
Every time I look at Linux I am attracted to Ubuntu. Is this the easiest distro for a newbie to start
with please?

We all have our favorite distributions. Ask 10 people, and you're likely
to get at least 11 opinions.

My advice has ever been to start where you have a personal relationship
that can help you over the learning curve. You need a buddy for best
results. If you don't have a friend who can function that way for you,
second best is to look at support resources available and see what
others are using. You've started this already by asking on this list.
Basically, you'll find that the Linux core is the same among all the
distributions. The end user applications are also pretty much the same,
e.g. LibreOffice is LibreOffice across all distros. The differences are
most visible for tasks like package management and system
updating/configuration.

hth

Janina

Thanks for any advice and help, and apologies for the long post.

Take care
James

Sent from my iPhone