Re: [orca-list] Considering moving to Linux Ubuntu from macOS

If you're relying on pandoc, you probably want a text editor, not a word
processor like Libre Office. So, the classic Linux choice remains emacs
or vim, both of which interface nicely with pandoc.

I also have pandoc rules in my mailcap which assist in reading various
file types that arrive as mail attachments.

My view is that all of the above still works better, and far more
rapidly from cli clients using Speakup or Brltty for your assistive
technology. Others may have a different view and discuss from the Orca
perspective. My only additional comment is that there's no reason not to
have both environments configured and ready to use on the fly. It's
easily, and preferably a both and situation, not an either or situation.

Janina

James AUSTIN writes:
Hi all

Some of you may be aware of me from my recent post requesting information on Skype and Orca compatibilityy.
Thanks to Tyna and Alonzo for assisting with this. However, I am writing this time, because I am
considering a switch from macOS to Linux, possibly Ubuntu.

Writing

Much of my writing is a combination of Pandoc and Pandoc -flavoured Markdown, with a little.docx work.
Presumably the former can be written with a slue text editors, and the latter with Libre Office. I also
presume that Email --- namely Exchange and Gmail can be handled by either Evolution or Thunderbird.

Reading

I read a lot of PDFs. How does Orca handle them? Voice Over can read the OCR layer, but none of the
accessibility information such as headings.

I also read a lot of Ebooks from Kindle. I would be willing to read other vendors too, if Orca has better
compatibility with these.

Web

I understand that Orca works well with Firefox, but if there any easy way to access links etc i.e.  links
list mapped to a keyboard shortcut?

Bibliography

I keep a bib latex file managed through Bibdesk for searching. Is there anything similar for Linux?

Device support

I am writing this on an iPhone, is there any support for such devices on Linux?

OS

Every time I look at Linux I am attracted to Ubuntu. Is this the easiest distro for a newbie to start with
please?

Thanks for any advice and help, and apologies for the long post.

Take care
James

Sent from my iPhone