Re: [orca-list] List of accessible application for Orca

Libreoffice works fine for office docs, doc docx, etc as well as open source alternatives and several others.
If your distro uses open offdice instead by
default as far as I know it should work as well, but I've not tried it in a few years.
As for chm, there is a converter util, maybe more than one you can use to convert to pdf, and pdfs are often
readable using evince, often listed as
document viewer in an applications menu. It may already be installed, but if not you can get it for all
distros I know of. Releases more than a couple
years old may not be accessible, so if you are using a really old version of your distro you may or may not
have an accessible evince available by default.
You can also convert it to txt using the pdftotext util, probably installed as part of a evince dependency.
Adobe reader, probably called acroread, may oer may not be accessivble, i.e. I know some versions have been
accessible, some people have reported using it
still but not sure about their distro/version, and I've not been able to use it on arch-linux so far.
For arch and its distro family, manjaro based distros, ppub is a very nice and accessible epub reader.
I've not found a ppub for Debian based repos so far, but will be looking more later, and if need be try to
build it from source and or create a .deb
package for use with Vinux and Ubuntu.
Just google for the chm converter for your distro, something like how to convert chm to pdf should do the
trick if you don't get results searching for how
to read a chm using your Linux distro/version.
I think there is an accessible epub extension for firefox, but have not tried such a beast myself.
Also, if you install calibre, it comes with an excellent set of convertion scripits called ebook-convert
I can't tell you all the formats it handles, but there are many. It will do a much cleaner job turning pdf to
text than the util I mention above in some
cases.  Just type a command like
ebook-convert my-file.pdf myfile.txt
using the file you want to convert's name instead of myfile. You can also use the graphical front end that
comes with calibre. I think I have to use orca's
flat review keys and simulated mouse clicks for some of this, but don't remember details of the process,
onlly that it works well enough, but is a bit less
than intuitive somewhere in the process.
Calibre and ebbok-convert handle epub and maybe even chm, but as far as I know you can not read books
accessibly directly in calibre, but you certainly can
convert most things in to .txt or .htmle and read them that way.
For pdf files that do not convert because they use images of text instead of text itself you can try
tesseract directly or with one of its front ends, LIOS
is one of the most full featured ones. You need to get lios from its website. Google is your friend. Lios
stands for linux inteligent ocr solution.
Good luck.

--
     B.H.
   Registerd Linux User 521886

  vikash kesarwani kritikalsolutions com wrote:
Tue, Nov 15, 2016 at 12:50:17AM -0800

Hi All,

I want to read some documents with orca, but I am unable to find
applications which support accessibility.
These are the documents which I need to read: MS office docs(doc, xls), PDF,
CHM, EPUB. Please help find these applications.

Thanks & Regards,
Vikash Kesarwani