Re: [orca-list] Please give me the command to clone the Orca repository.

Where you run the commands from won't effect where orca is actually installed to.
Clone orca source code in to a place that is convenient for you.
 Hammer Attila suggests /usr/src. I make a couple of directories in my home directory, one I call progs where
I put ready to install packages, programs
that are not in repos for my distro, backups of known to be good, working&accessible versions of software I
keep around in case an nupdate has issues, etc;
and one I call Build where I keep source code and or build software from source for installation.
To control where the program, orca in this case will put its executable code we normally use the prefix
option with the directory desired as its argument,
e.g.
./configure --prefix=/usr
to have the program in /usr/bin, library files in /usr/lib/, a .desktop launcher file in
/usr/share/applications/, etc.,
as typically a Linux package built from source puts the main executable in /usr/local/bin, and similarly
other files in sub-directories under /usr/local.
It often helps organization to have software built from source in  the local sub-dirs and only have programs
installed by package managers in /usr/bin,
etc., but sometimes folks prefer something else.

--
     B.H.
   Registerd Linux User 521886

  Jude DaShiell wrote:
Sat, Nov 05, 2016 at 01:29:14PM -0400

If orca is installed under /usr/src does orca end up in /usr/bin by default?
My reason for asking is that subsequent updates of orca probably clobber the
orca master installation in /usr/bin.  If I didn't want that to happen, I'd
prevent it by installing to /usr/local/src and doing whatever was necessary
in the configure step to ensure the orca binary ended up in /usr/local/bin.
That way, orca master has some protection.