Re: [orca-list] Is there a workaround for this Vim issue?

Hi,

i can confirm this issue. Looks like it is no issue specific to neovim
since i'm using the classic vim on my box.. Unfortunately i cannot
provide any workaround for this.

btw. i'm just wondering if you have some issues i have with vim, too?
- orca speaks the last word of the previous line when arrowing down to
the next one
- at the first line of a file the braille device displays the complete
window title e.g.
"gnome-terminal-server root:/etc/openvpn/openvpn.conf " and the text
of the editor is appended to this stuff

Thanks
- Jann

Trying to get into using Vim over Gedit. It seems to have lots of great
ways to boost my productivity but I keep hitting issues using it in an
Orca terminal. To see this one, do the following:

1. Enable the "speak indentation" setting in Orca's settings.

2. Run vim.

3. Type "a" to enter append mode.

4. Type all of the following between the "---" lines, not including the
"---" lines themselves:

---

Test

   Indented line

---

Note the 2 spaces before "Indented line"

5. Backspace over everything on "  Indented line", including spaces.

6. Press up-arrow.

7. Press down-arrow.

When I down-arrow, I hear "2 spaces" but I can't left/right-arrow over
them. If I review in flat review mode, I still see the spaces.

I filed a Neovim issue about this a while back, but I think it also
happens in regular Vim since nvim is a fork. My thinking is that there's
some artifact in how Vim renders its terminal where it leaves the 2
spaces around even though they can't be traversed, but I've also seen
scenarios where gnome-terminal and the accessible view of the terminal
get out of sync, so I'm wondering if this might be one of those?

I'm also wondering if there is a workaround? This makes distinguishing
between a blank line, in the "\n\n" sense, impossible to distinguish
between lines of spaces, which some folks put in their code for some
reason or other. I've also seen instances where deleting all the text of
a line leaves its indentation spacing behind, which I don't want in my
own code. Looking into how to do this automatically with Vimscript on
file write, which I know is possible.

Thanks.