Re: [orca-list] apps inaccessible when run as root. What to do?

On Thu, May 12, 2016 at 08:50:28PM AEST, kendell clark wrote:
hi all
I've just become a manjaro packager. To that end, I'd like to get the
longstanding problem of apps being inaccessible when run as root in
desktops other than gnome shell fixed . Joanie, luke, do you guys have
any idea what might be causing it?

The first thing to do is look at what apps you want to run as root. If
it is only a subset of a particular app that needs to run as root, then
maybe enhancing it to use policykit is the best option.

Otherwise, I think it may have something to do with allowing the
process running as root to access the various resources of the user,
the accessibility bus, X, etc. So thats where one has to start looking,
probably making sure environment variables are propogated, such that X
settings and the accessibility dbus bus can be used.

Really though, trying to use policykit or maybe even pkexec is the best
route to go.

Luke