Re: [orca-list] beginner

You can install Linux along side of your Windows and choose which system
to use at boot time.

As for buying a new computer, well most anything runs Linux, but to run
modern Linux systems well you will want something that would run Windows
well.

A minimum that I'd recommend would be something with 3 or 4 gigs of RAM,
hopefully expandable to 8GB, (more is always better, but few people
really need more than 4-6GB unless they are doing serious media file
editing, sophisticated design work, or running virtual machines).

Heavy multi tasking of course also uses more memory, but besides that
also is less efficient to use for other reasons, especially for
screenreader users. Just saying you probably should not leave 20 browser
tabs open while dong your email and editing a bunch of formatted
documents, streaming video, and something else...You can certainly leave
your browser email and chat programs open while doing other work, and
Linux lets you do things on the commandline where they are generally
quite a bit more resource thrifty as opposed to graphical apps.

Go to the Vinux wiki,

http://wiki.vinuxproject.org

and start reading.

There is good basic usage and installation info there.

Join the Vinux mailing list please for more Vinux related help.

You can find how to do that on the vinux wiki as well, or search google
groups for vinux-support.

People there will be very helpful.

Once I see you there I and I am sure others will be able to answer any
specific questions.

You are probably best buying a machine with out the windows secure boot
stuff if you can, or best still one with no OS on it at all, but you can
install vinux on uefi systems as well.

I did not notice your saying mac as well as windows was on your laptop,
but you can probably add Linux along side both of these with little
problem. I have no mac experience though, so can not help with any
issues that arise that are mac specific.

Linux will need less space on hard drive than your other operating
systems, so you might prefer a machine with a smaller ssd instead of a
larger traditional spinning hard drive, but that is of course up to you
and what you save, whether you have a back up drive, etc.

If I had the money to buy something, I'd go for an intel I5 CPU, one of
the newer ones at least ivybridge anyway, or an AMD quadcore machine if
that is a better deal for you.

The things to check online for compatibility are WiFi, and bluetooth
mostly.

Some sound cards work better than others as well. There are lists, one
good one, especially as you are talking Vinux is on a Ubuntu site to
check hardware compatibility.

Most things work pretty easily with Vinux/recent Ubuntu releases, but I
am not a big fan of the broadcom WiFi cards and the drivers needed for them.

I'd probably stay away from Sony Vayo machines.

In general performance is at least as good as, and usually better
running Linux compared with the other popular operating systems on the
same hardware, so take that for what it is worth, i.e. get something
you'd be happy with running Windows, and it should work for you well
with Linux.

     B.H.
   Registerd Linux User 521886