Re: [orca-list] lxde and xfce desktops

I had little trouble getting xfce to work, but panels are stillunusable and likely to stay that way as far as
I know, that's on arch-linux.
Things must be configured though.
The closest to what you want is knopix adriane as far as I know.
YOu have to start the GUI after the menu displays, but the txt menu talks,and things kind of work on lxde, or
did last I tried it. It was less stable than
xfce on arch though, i.e. back when I tried it I could not run more than  a couple of gui programs at a time
in adition to the screenbreader or crashes
almost always occured.
Thunar is not really a viable option either, so install pcmanfm on xfce if  you do go the 9 yards to get it
talking, an easy 9 yards it is though.
It'd be easy to build up either of these desktops on debian starting from the net install, i.e get a pure cli
system working, install what you need for
startx, and then install xfce and its extras and orca.
I do not have exact package names handy, but they are easy enough to find.
Please to not take this as high handed or something, but honestly, if you do not feel comfortable doing the
configuration you need to get xfce or lxde to
talk there's little reason to bother testing accessibility.
It's great except wher it fails completely on xfce.
You have to pass at least one gtk option , abnd as mentioned, swap out thunar for pcmanfm to get a nice
desktop.
There are two gsettings values to change as well as I recall, and you should be good to go. Alternatively,
get sighted help to turn on accessibility  in
the menus and you should not have to type one of the gsettings commands.
I can provide more details, or there are a couple of posts that should come up in a google search to help you
with basic configuration.

--
     B.H.
   Registerd Linux User 521886

  Pavel Vlček wrote:
Sun, Jun 12, 2016 at 10:49:14PM +0200

Hi,

I want to test accessibility features of lxde and xfce desktops without
installing the distro to pc. Are here some distros, where enable assistive
technologies checkbox is automatically enabled and Orca can be started and
desktop used? Xubuntu and Lubuntu are absolutelly without Orca, Ubuntu
Studio has Orca, but the checkbox is disabled by default. Distro's language
must be English only.

Thank you,

Pavel