Re: [orca-list] Orca and greek symbols

You folks at orca rock.  Someone reports an issue, and yall are all over it.  I love it!

Mark Peveto
Registered Linux user number 600552
Sent from F123 Visual using alpine 2.20.13

On Tue, 5 Jul 2016, Joanmarie Diggs wrote:

Hey Max.

The short answer is: It depends and I need more specific information if
you want a more specific answer.

In the current (both stable and unstable) versions of Orca, quite a bit
of pre-processing of symbols is done in Orca for MathML. It's not every
last possible symbol under the sun, but quite a few symbols are now
being turned into spoken words by Orca before sent to the synthesizer.
If it's not MathML but just a symbol in the middle of text, it depends
on the symbol. In addition, turning Math-related symbols into spoken
words was done in Orca over time. Thus the older the version of Orca
being used, the more likely it is that the synthesizer must know how to
say the characters.

If you want a more concrete answer than that, I need more concrete
information from you including exact URL, exact line, and exact key
press used.

--joanie