Re: [orca-list] Informative "Orca"

Here's something I'm confused about, and I'm not trying to offend, I'm just genuinely curious. I hit this when developing Spiel, too.

If an item that is the last utterance in a string annoys you, why not just stop speech before it is spoken, or just treat it as anything else you don't care about and ignore it? So for instance, if a list is being read and the text "item 5 of 15" is spoken as the last utterance, and you aren't interested in that information, why not just pre-empt it with another action? I didn't even notice the "table row" issue until I forced myself to listen to an entire message line. Typically I've either deleted or switched to a message before the row was finished reading so hadn't even noticed.

I just worry that at some point, we'll have a huge pile of preferences to account for the fact that everyone wants things read or not read just a bit differently, yet when I use a screen reader I've usually continued my interaction at the point where useless stuff gets read so I don't even notice. I guess I'm just curious why others don't do this, and if there's some valuable insight I'm missing. With Spiel, for instance, I purposefully decided not to let people disable speaking list indices, so you'd always get "5 of 15" spoken after the 5th list item, but I always ensured that the item you didn't want to hear was likely last so you'd either be performing your next action, or would be interacting with that item and thus not paying attention anyway.

That said, I guess I could see a case for eliminating "table row" in speaking Thunderbird message lines, or maybe even in tree views completely. When I hear that something is a table, I assume that I can interact with it by navigating by cells and just saw that I couldn't do that in Thunderbird's messages view, so by that token calling it a table might lead me to conclude that I could interact with it in a way that I can't. But in general I don't wait for my screen reader to say everything it has to before continuing my work, so would rather not see a pile of preferences for turning on and off a hundred different utterances. :)