Re: [orca-list] Accessibility of apps

Hello,

If you have a capable developer or two I would rather start with simpler tasks if I were you.

For example take file-roller and engrampa as a base and make sure it is possible to inwoke files view context menu with the keyboard only i.e. by pressing the applications key. I am sure for clever GTK developer this would be simple hackathon style project and you will contribute significant fix to two apps at once with minimal possible overhead and you will increase a bit of a11y related awareness within GNOME and Mate teams.

Another a bit more difficult but still doable thing would be contributing to Brasero. It has an issue that its file dialog and other views whele files are displayed don't react to keyboard presses it only reacts to hardcoded mouse clicks. For example create a new data disc project in Brasero, from its edit menu open Add files dialog, and in that dialog try to enter any folder. You will find you can't unless you will resort to mouse emulation.

These are apps which are stable for years with minimal changes so it's very likelly you won't cause conflicts etc.

Then another very very cool project would be looking to pcmanfm code, if you like I can give you some commits where you should start at and based off of that creating an ATK support for playlist view for DeaDBeeF music player.

I think debugging Gecko and other Mozilla things or libreoffice is an overkill for home office style developers. They will soon realize that there is better fix or a lot of more work needed plus it requires a lot of studying. I really think we should start with much more simple things once we will become proficient enough to be recognized by the Mozilla or Libreoffice teams.

Greetings

Peter