Re: [orca-list] Accessibility of apps

Hi,

I think it will require a dedicated group of people who are comfortable with
accessibility APIs and who can look at a project's source code, identify the
cause of a bug and fix it quicker than the project's own developers can. A bug
report can then be submitted with a patch that fixes it. The project's
maintainers can help to improve the patch, but the point is to provide a patch
which has been tested as a starting point, not just a bug report.

Right. But very simple things can be done, without understanding all
that (a11y APIs, details of source). Typically, the miscode of labels,
the capability to interact with keyboard with an object, etc. Simple to
see, understand, fix, even for maintainers. Accerciser is an excellent
point.

What you describe is for deeper a11y problems. But I think we can start
with those 2 1st issues, it could 1) fix a lot of issues quickly; 2)
create a kind of awareness in devs, to avoid what I hear often: "a11y is
for experts". No! a11y, is for everybody coding an app, as if you code
properly, you'll make things easy for a11y stack. Such patches and
bugreports would show it's not so hard to do the minimal to make things
improve.

The second aspect to this is automatic regression testing and much more
rigorous testing in general before projects are released.

Yes, other project we need to develop. It's in our plans.

Regards,