Re: [orca-list] no speech with orca and mate desktop

You need to remove pulseaudio from the flash drive and erase its profiles too and remove it from where ever it is being started up. Also power off and start the system again otherwise pulseaudio will hang on.

On Sun, 28 Aug 2016, Don Raikes wrote:

Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2016 01:02:26
From: Don Raikes <DON RAIKES ORACLE COM>
To: orca-list gnome org
Subject: [orca-list] no speech with orca and mate desktop

Hello,

I am working on creating a bootable flashdrive with kali Linux (a port of debian jesse).

At this point, I can get the live system to boot into the mate desktop, and have brltty working.

When I start orca from the run dialog, it looks like orca starts, but I get no sound.  I have gone to the
sound / video menu and then sound and made sure the volume is turned up and that the sound is not muted.  I
can get some sound effects as well.

When I open a console window, and run espeak -f test.txt espeak reads the contents of the file fine so at
least that much is working.

I altered /etc/speech-dispatcher/speech.conf to have the audiooutput = "libao" instead of "pulse". And
restarted speech-dispatcher with no success.

Also not sure how to access the orca preferences dialog to make sure things are set correctly there.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Don