Re: [orca-list] Converting pdf documents to text

Yes, as others have mentioned the first and fastest convertion I know of is with pdftotext, but at times the
output is not that clean with words run
together, or some extranious characters that make for a less than satisfactory reading experience in the
worst cases. Most documents are handled very
well in my experience however. There is a program called calibre that has a suite of scripts included for
converting between various document formats
called ebook-convert.
Calibre itself is not accessible, but the ebook convertion scripts can be run on the commandline and have
given me clean output when pdftotext has
failed to do so.
For the record, pdftotext is part of poppler-utils, which has other convertion scripts in it.
Vinux has a handy little script that directly opens pdf files as text in gedit, so you could put this on your
ubuntu machine. It uses the same poppler
-utils pdftotext backend that has been mentioned by everyone, but it is convenient as you just open the pdf
directly from your file manager.

--
     B.H.
   Registerd Linux User 521886

  Vojtěch Šmiro wrote:
Thu, Sep 03, 2015 at 10:04:46AM +0200

   Hello.

   How can I convert pdf to txt files in Linux? I still use Ubuntu 14.04.

   Thanks for your help.

   Best regards

   Vojta.