Re: [orca-list] Emacs editor

Emacs will come up as a GUI application if you start it from a terminal without using the 'nw switch. As a GUI application, it won't work with Orca. Therefore, if you want to use it without the graphical interface, bring it up in a console and use Speakup, or start it in a terminal with the command:

$ emacs -nw

and use Orca.

IMHO, the best way to use Emacs is with Emacspeak. There are multiple ways to install and configure Emacspeak. What version of Ubuntu are you running and what version of Emacs do you want to use? I just download the source for Emacspeak and use the make files to compile and install it myself. I use it with eSpeak. If you're interested, contact me off list and I can send you some instructions.