Re: [orca-list] OT how to change speakup voice

Yes, likely so. These don't occur very often though, and a cp command is pretty trivial.
That being said, for someone not expecting this behavior confusion is likely to set in...lol.
I should add an espeakup file to /etc/speakup and perhaps script its modification or swap as I like to change
voices once in a while, not to mention the
ocassional need to change language.
I usually just read non-English files in the GUI with Orca as changing language is easier/faster there, and
can be handled on an application specific
basis which is often more practical as I'm not changing system language, just reading a document, article,
etc.
One issue is that for sometime now speakupconf only works for root, i.e. saving/reloading  rate, volume, etc.
ihas no effect when done as a normal user.
This can be worked around, but would be much more of a problem on a multi-user system, e.g. when I have a
teaching account set up which will not only
probably be  in Spanish rather than the English that I usually set up for myself, but use very different
voice rate, and perhaps even slightly different
volume.
Part of the speakup-tools, (or is it utils), package is a script to change language, but it did not work last
time I tried it.
 talkwith I think it is called, and I think the package is usually if not always called speakup-utils, that's
its name on Arch anyway.

--
     B.H.
   Registerd Linux User 521886

  Peter Vágner wrote:
Wed, Oct 21, 2015 at 07:53:29AM +0200

One little thing::
- If you would copy whatewer your prefered voice into the file named
default, eSpeak will reset it for you during upgrades.