Re: [orca-list] Fwd: [BlindTech] Re: Dell has a palm size desktop device

Josh K <joshknnd1982 gmail com> wrote:
hey wonder if the this new micro desktop would run ubuntu or fedora distros?

I don't know, but there's a small system called Fit-PC (from Israel, as I
remember), which has been advertised by a Linux-oriented reseller. It should
work well with Linux and with Orca.

GNOME 3.16 and Orca still run comfortably on my Lenovo X200 laptop, which
dates from 2008. I don't know what the minimum hardware requirements are, but
my laptop has 2GB of memory and a 2.4GHz dual-core Intel CPU. The slowest
component is the 250GB 5400RPM hard drive, for which an SSD could be
substituted of course.

There are other desktop environments that will reduce your hardware
requirements further. For reference, I can run Firefox, LibreOffice and GNOME
applications on this machine without any performance problems other than the
start-up time, which I expect is mostly due to the hard drive.