[orca-list] significant orca lag issues

hi all. This might be a bit long, so settle in with a cup of coffee or
something. I seem to be in an unusual situation with orca. I just
bought my fiance mellisa an ssd for her computer. As a result, her
system is wildly out of balance. She has a really fast ssd, but the
same slow intel dual core 2.0 ghz processor, and same old intel mobile
hd graphics. As a result, orca is at times extremely responsive and at
tiems nearly unusable as it struggles to keep up, often stuttering
"window. deskt window. desktop frame. Icon view layored pane" as the
processor catches up with the very fast ssd. I'm writing in to report
some severe lag I'm experiencing in orca when navigating list boxes,
tree views, or tables. Specific examples are below, but any list will
do this. In gnome-initial-setup, when trying to navigate the list of
locales and keyboard layouts, orca's lag is so bad it takes somewhere
between five and ten seconds to respond to a key press. That is, I
press the down arrow key, wait ten seconds to hear the next keyboard
layout or locale. In nautilus, when entering a directory with hundreds
or thousands of files in it, orca's performance slows to acrawl. It
can take quite a while for orca to react to key presses. This seems to
be orca specific, because I can see the the focus move visually to the
next file immediately. In the gnome overview, when typing, I can see
the search results rapidly change as gnome narrows down the results. I
can see gnome highlighting the results, but sometimes orca doesn't
speak them right away. If there is only one result, sometimes orca
doesn't speak the result at all. Any application that has lots of
items in a tree view will lag a bit with orca but it's really not that
bad. What is concerning is that after a while, orca will stop
announcing the treeview items, but simply saying "tree" I'm not
certain exactly when this happens but it always does if the tree view
is long enough. A good example is in accerciser and mime editor. These
are *not* complaints. Joanie, I really hate to ask you to do this
since I know you're busy with gnome 3.16, but would you mind looking
into this? Is this even an orca issue, or is her system so wildly
unbalanced that the ssd is doing it's job but the rest of the system
components just aren't fast enough to keep up? If it helps at all, the
lags in very long lists, tables and tree controls happen on my system,
and almost as badly as hers, even though my system is several times
more powerful. Quad core processor, 8 gb of ram. Should I file a bug
against orca, providing debug logs? Are these maybe gnome issues? I'm
sorry I'm not clearer, I don't exactly know what's causing orca's
lags, so I'm being as clear as I can. As a final note, both systems
are running identical oses. Both running fedora 21 with all updates
applied as of this morning.
Thanks for reading
Kendell clark
Sent from Fedora GNU/Linux