Re: [orca-list] fedora22 and orca from source

Juan:

It's certainly true that the Fedora tools are quite different from the
Debian/Ubuntu tools. Learning the Fedora syntax could be the challenge,
of course. I would have the same problem were I to suddenly switch to
Ubuntu or Debian.

Some suggestions ...

Juan Hernandez writes:
Hi All,

So I've been trying to get this going for some days now, and I am at nearly
my ends with patience.

dnf in builddep orca to get all my dependencies going.

Great if all the dependencies are correctly specified in the packaging
files. Unfortunately, you can't depend on that. See below.

I did something similar on Ubuntu, via apt-get, 'apt-get build-dep
gnome-orca' and this worked beautifully.

Under fedora22, the dnf equivalent doesn't work.

Be careful about what you mean when you say "equivalent." Please don't
expect that the command syntax will be equivalent, because it isn't.
There may be equivalent processes invoked by other commands, or not.
It's your job, should you choose to continue learning Fedora, to learn
these differences, as I would have to learn these differences where I to
take on Ubuntu or Debian.

Dnf builddep orca - gives me the below error/message

No such command: builddep.  Please use /bin/dnf --help

It could be a dnf plugin command, try dnf install dnf-command(builddep)

Correct. There's no such command in dnf itself. You need the
dnf-plugins-core package to provide the 'builddep' subcommand for dnf.

I tried this, and it tells me

Badly placed ()'s.

Yes, I think one could file a bug on the builtin help. It could be
clearer, much clearer.

So Joan said to do a sudo dnf install dnf-plugin-core

I did this, but it just said nothing to do, it was already installed.

If the above is what you typed, you have a typo. The current package you
want is:

Name        : dnf-plugins-core
Version     : 0.1.8
Release     : 1.fc22
Architecture: noarch
Install Date: Thu 04 Jun 2015 01:26:39 PM EDT
Group       : System Environment/Base
Size        : 7562
License     : GPLv2+
Signature   : RSA/SHA256, Fri 08 May 2015 06:32:46 PM EDT, Key ID
11adc0948e1431d5
Source RPM  : dnf-plugins-core-0.1.8-1.fc22.src.rpm
Build Date  : Wed 06 May 2015 07:17:01 AM EDT
Build Host  : buildvm-25.phx2.fedoraproject.org
Relocations : (not relocatable)
Packager    : Fedora Project
Vendor      : Fedora Project
URL         :
https://github.com/rpm-software-management/dnf-plugins-core
Summary     : Core Plugins for DNF
Description :
Core Plugins for DNF. This package enhance DNF with builddep,
config-manager,
copr, debuginfo-install, download, needs-restarting, repoquery and
reposync commands. Additionally provides generate_completion_cache,
noroot and
protected_packages passive plugins.

I love fedora, but I probably will go back to Ubuntu since I am not able to
build my orca from source.

But why? Why do you need to build from source?

When I run ./autogen.sh -prefix=/opt/orca

It says it can't find pygobject.  I've done all I can to see this installed,
and all signs show it as it being installed.

Your comment is confusing. Are you saying you've done everything to
install? Or everything to build. You shouldn't need to build just to
install, i.e.

dnf install orca

should give you the latest released orca build, if it's indeed not
already there:

rpm -qi orca

If anyone has any other ideas, I'd love some more of them.  Like I said I
love fedora 22, but this is a deal breaker for me, if I can't get my orca
deps installed so I can get the latest orca nightly code working on my box.

OK. That answers why you want to build. I'm pretty sure your problem is
a missing dependency not specified in the package manifests since time
immemorial. As this is not uncommon, you need the generic approach to
fixing these problems. If I'm correct,  there's another dnf command that
you need to become familiar with:

dnf provides [path/file]

So, going back to your autogen.sh error, take the full path to the
missing dependency as provided by autogen and use it as the argument to
your dnf provides command. The return value will tell what package you
still need to "dnf install."

hth

Janina

Best,