Re: [orca-list] changing shells?

I would have to do a bit of researc if I don't have a copy of my old rc file for zsh, but I think what you
are talking about can be turned off. You can
for example tweak or disable, (or maybe it's backwards, i.e. not enabled by default), a feature that reports
on how long it takes a  process to
comoplete. I think  there may be something simlar that reports on CPu usage for commands/processes.
Anyway, one of the cool things about zsh is that  you can see some meta data like this automatically if you
want to, but it is not something you have to
have displayed.
This is pretty OT for here as there is no orca issue involved, and honestly I've almost never even run zsh in
a terminal. The same issues effect us when
using speakup in VT-consoles of course.
If you can't get this sorted out and relly want to use zsh for some reason I'll try and help, but if you look
at a couple of zsh configuration tutorials
and or zsh documentation I think you will find what you need.
Zsh allows for a right side prompt besides the standard left hand prompt, and all kinds of extra information
can be displayed in this 2nd, (extra)
prompt). I have never wanted the right side prompt myself, but perhaps for some this feature can be used
comfortably/practically  with speech.
like with other things, one user's useful data can be another user's distraction.

--
     B.H.
   Registerd Linux User 521886

  covici ccs covici com wrote:
Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 07:30:42PM -0400

I have grml and so get a taste of zsh withspeakup and don't like it --
it does strange echos and has some kind of line at the bottom which
keeps yapping about cpu, etc.

B. Henry <burt1iband gmail com> wrote:

You can just start the shell, i.e. type
zsh
in your terminal and run z shell until you close that terminal, same in VT-consoles.
I don't know if you want to change shells system wide, or just to do somethings some times.
There are lots of articles, tutorials, etc. that explain relative advantages, configuration, etc
regarding a number of shells, a few of which I have
never heard of any one using lol.
I do like zsh, but have not gotten back to learning and using it since setting up this current
installation of Arch.
Ksh looks interesting as well.

--
     B.H.
   Registerd Linux User 521886
I hope I still have copies of my zsh configuration files/you have me wanting to give it another spin.
That being said, personally I always preferred
keeping bash as my default.
Another poster told you how to change your system default I think, and you can set things up on a user by
user basis as well.

  Juan Hernandez wrote:
Sat, Jun 20, 2015 at 09:27:24PM -0700

   Hi all, is it possible to change the shell from bash to something else
   when I run terminal?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

   Best,