Re: [orca-list] an important regression: amazing slowness when opening the voice list in orca if espeak varients are enabled

hi
Looking into this a bit further, I've found the following.
Configuring speech-dispatcher's varient support does indeed increase,
by a lot, the voice list of orca's preferences dialog. I no longer get
the complete hang of the preferences dialog, but it is still extremely
slow.  I also have a basic idea of how a varients combo box can be
added,  at least for now until a proper varients api in
speech-dispatcher is added. When you use espeak varients,
speech-dispatcher adds a plus and the varient name to each voice in
the list. So for english, you get english+male1, english+male2, etc
for all the available varients. This goes for every single voice
that's in the list. If a varients combo box is added, you could simply
look for that + character, and make a nother combo box called
something like varients, with the contents of the varients in that
box. so you'd have male1, male2, etc. This would solve the huge list
problem, and still allow someone to choose a varient. This is of
course a bit of a hack until speech-dispatcher gets an API to get and
set the varient. Once that's there, you can just use that to get it,
and that's probably a Mlot more elegant. I've generated a debug log
and can send it if anyone needs it.
Thanks
Kendell clark

kendell clark wrote:
hi all as of around seven o'clock today, a new speech-dispatcher
release was released, v0.8.3. It adds support for espeak varients,
finally. This option is disabled by default in the config file. If
it is enabled, you can now use espeak varients, which are espeak's
term for differently sounding voices. Now that I've gotten that out
of the way, there is a huge, huge lag when attempting to open the
orca preferences dialog when this option is enabled. I can often
get to the voice list, but after I open the list, the dialog
becomes completely unresponsive and has to be forced to quit in
gnome. Orca itself is fine, it just won't speak until the dialog is
closed, requiring a wait of a couple of minutes. I'm not sure what
to do about this. My only guess, and it is very much a guess, is
that the voice list has grown exponentially with the inclusion of
varients, causing a delay when orca tries to parse the much larger
list. I'm not sure what to do. My suggestion would be to add a
varient combo box after the voice one, to handle varients. This
would require code changes in orca I can't even begin to make. I
can provide a debug log if needed. I normally am happy to wait for
bugs to get fixed, but this delay is so long that this can cause
all kinds of problems. And since the speech dispatcher release is
already out with the changes, it will hit distro repositories
soon. Can anyone else confirm this? I doubt that anything but arch
has the new speech-dispatcher, and that's probably still in the
testing repository, but if you can compile speech-dispatcher from
git you can test. You'll need to go and enable espeak's varient
support first. This is found in your espeak module config, at
either /etc/speech-dispatcher/modules/espeak.conf for system wide,
or ~/.config/speech-dispatcher/modules/espeak.conf for local.

This is *not* a complaint, just a rather panicky sounding message
grins. Thanks all for reading Kendell clark