[orca-list] Keyboard Input layout, CapsLock been passed through when it's Orca modifier, etc. (was orca and large ... well, anything)

Hi,
In the region and language settings I only see two tabs: Language and
Regional formats (I'm not sure it's called exactly that, cause my locale
is Bulgarian)
In the first there are: a list of languages which could be rearranged,
Apply button, Ad/remove language button and a combo box called something
like "Keyboard input system" with 3 options: ibuss, thai and  none.
And in the second there are: a combo box for choosing the language for
dates, currencies, etc, and an Apply button.
That's all.
I feel something is not right here cause I remember that in the past
there were additional settings here, like choosing the keys for changing
the layout etc. Or may be it was removed in GNOME 3.16?

From the good side, I may be found a clue to my CapsLock been passed
through Orca issue - it starts as soon as I change my keyboard layout
for the first time after boot. So I reboot, use some Orca commands
involving the Orca modifier (CapsLock) and everything is fine to this
point, and as soon as i switch the keyboard layout - CapsLock is always
passed through Orca, til the next reboot.

BTW, when changing the keyboard layout with the keyboard hotkey, there
is exactly the same issue like the one described with the "Show location
of mouse pointer" setting enabled (from my other letter from today),
though I don't know if it's for the same reason.
The expected behaviour here is Orca reading the newly set keyboard
layout. Instead it reads the application title.

There is also one other issue here: when changing keyboard layouts,
sometimes (most notably in terminal) Orca could not read neither the
window nor echos the typed keys til I focus out and then back to the
application.

I'm using Orca from Master under Vinux 5 dayly and GNOME 3.16, and for
the protocol: Firefox 38.0 and Thunderbird 31.7.
It is the same with Orca 3.16.2, which comes from the Vinux repos.

Best wishes,
Zahari

На  1.07.2015 в 03:37, kendell clark написа:
hi
I believe you can go into the region and language settings and turn
off taht setting. I think it's called "let each window have it's own
layout" or similar. I've seen the firefox getting stuck issue and I
have no idea what causes it. I've also experienced orca getting stuck
and freezing the application during say all, though instead of
thunderbird it happens in any application that uses webkit.
Thanks
Kendell clark

Zahari Yurukov wrote:
Hi, yes, I'm also experiancing this and I don't quite remember if
it has been otherwise, may be in the old days of GNOME 2.x? There
are also some moments when Orca hangs for a few seconds (or longer)
and it doesn't have a perticular pattern so to be reproduced from
the first time - one just need to use Orca full time and also to
know what's happening under the hood. I'm also experiancing the
newly introduced problems with Firefox where the cursor will stuck
when in review mode. Unlike Peter though - this drives me crazy.
Firefox also has been very sluggish for me lately on some
JavaScript-rich pages. However, I wonder if that could be somewhat
related to Firefox 38? I'm experiancing Orca freezes when using
SayAll, til now mostly in thunderbird, but now also in Firefox. The
cursor gets  stuck when reading messages in Thunderbird for a very
long time.

The state of CapsLock is switched regulary when the CapsLock is set
as Orca modifier, which I don't think should happen. I first
encountered this may be in Orca 3.12, though it may be result of an
earlier change.

I possibly should post this as a separate message (and may be on a
different list), but does someone knows how to turn off the
automatic switching of keyboard layout in GNOME - I often end up
typing cyrillic letters when I expect I'm typing latin letters do
to keyboard layout been switched automatically.

Best wishes, Zahari

На  1.07.2015 в 02:07, kendell clark написа:
hi all The subject is a little vague, so I'll try to be brief.
I've brought this up before, so I'll not repeat myself, or try
not to. If any kind of container, a list, table, icon pane, etc
contains over a certain number of items, orca's performance
starts to suffer. The number seems to be somewhere around 200.
Below that, orca doesnt' lag at all. At or above that, orca's
performance worsens depending on how large the container is. A
good example is to open a folder in nautilus with over 200 items
in it, /usr/bin should do it. Another one is to go into the
region and language settings in gnome shell, click on the "add
input source" button, and search for english. There should be
around 500 results in there. Orca's performance lags, but is
usable. But if the number of items gets into the thousands, orca
starts to lag heavily and approaches an unusable level. Lol that
sounded way too scientific for me. I don't think this is an orca
problem, but not sure. It could be event flooding,  or an at-spi
issue. I suspect at-spi, if only because it's container agnostic.
It doesn't matter whether it's a list, table, tree view, icon
pane ... you get the picture.  I'm not complaining, just in a bit
ofa hurry today, lots of last minute things to do before the new
sonar release. Thanks Kendell clark