[orca-list] Ubuntu Mate 15.10 and WIFI

Hi,
I just got a NUC PPYH for Xmas, and I installed a CF to SATA converter inside as the HD, and it's got 8GB of RAM.
I booted to a live version of Ubuntu on an SD card, and seemed to connect to WIFI successfully, by going into Internet and networking and adding a WIFI connection.
But when I tried installing Voxin, it also seemed to go well, but it does not show up in the synth list in Orca.
I believe not being connected to the Internet during installation affects whether you get a good install of Voxin.  I also did sudo update first, and that seemed to go okay.
But when I checked my connection in Internet and networking, it read something like
"never connected".
I have tried all the key combinations I ever knew of, including some I hadn't to try to get to a panel to find the WIFI, because that seems to be the most reliable way to connect.
I did also check FireFox to make sure whether I was connected, and it indicates that I am not.
Is there a CLI command I could use to bring up a GUI WIFI interface, or otherwise, another way to get to the panel to find the WIFI?
Thanks in advance.
Glenn