[orca-list] Suggestions for trouble shooting orca startup problem with my custom graphical environment

I have two questions.  An answer to one of them may help me with the other
I am using fluxbox on arch linux, and auto start  programs with the fluxbox startup file. The GTK
accessability stuff is exported in my xinitrc file and
is also available in /etc/profile.d/.

Question1: Orca always auto started fine, but now must use my orca --replace keyboard shortcut or similar to
start orca. Once or twice it has
autostarted since the problem started.
This all started after I installed pulse audio which is configured to use dmix. Orca is still using alsa as
do most of my applications. I suspect pulse
has something to do with the problem, but I still had orca auto starting even after an orca update and
restarting it and speech dispatcher.
The first trouble came when I upgraded to speech-dispatcher-git, i.e. speechdispatcher 0.9 when nothing
worked here. When I went back to 0.8.3 orca
worked, but would no longer autostart.

Question 2: I can't figure out how to get speech-dispatcher to write logs. It was set to use the default
option, and I changed it to
/var/log/speech-dispatcher. Log level is 3.
What is the trick here?
Thank you for any ideas.

--
     B.H.