Re: [orca-list] Patch: Experimental eSpeak support using python-espeak

hi
This is definitely true. The problem is, I don't think anyone is
working on speech-dispatcher's alsa code. Luke has been saying he
needs to fix it for a while, but he keeps not doing it, sighting lack
of motivation and not understanding the alsa code very well. As for
varients, it makes no difference to me whether speech-dispatcher does
it or espeak does it, so long as they work, which they do now. I'd
still like a varients combo box at some point but it's not such an
important feature, I can use the current system with little trouble.
The only way I can see a direct espeak module being useful is if we
did something similar to what nvda does and build a compiled in espeak
into orca. This is what nvda does, which means it can speak on systems
where there are no installed synths. But this is probably a lot harder
to do in linux land, and not really all that useful seeing as orca
pulls in speech-dispatcher and speech-dispatcher pulls in espeak, so
the only way to have orca with no synths is to remove those packages
which would render orca unable to speak.
Thanks
Kendell clark

Joanmarie Diggs wrote:
Hi Kendell.