Re: [orca-list] Patch: Experimental eSpeak support using python-espeak

hi
I've tried this and it works wonderfully! One minor nit. There's a
slight lag between when an arrow key is pressed and when espeak reacts
to it. It remindsme of the experience when you use speech-dispatcher
with alsa. This initial implementation is great. If this gets added
into orca I'll have to bug someone to put python-espeak in the
community repository of both sonar and arch so that people don't have
to install it manually. Great work!
Thanks
Kendell clark

Peter Vágner wrote:
Hello, Today I was playing with orca a bit more than usual. The
result is that I have implemented an alternative speech server
subclass. I have taken speechdispatcherfactory module and I have
replaced python-speechd API with python-espeak one accross the
whole module. So by doing this I think I have created experimental
direct eSpeak support for orca. It requires python-espeak to be
installed. I tryed to do this because a while ago we were
discussing this approach here on the list. You guys were hoping for
additional responsiveness increase and easier way on how to add
eSpeak specific features like variants support into orca. Also I
have come up with another little advantage as I have been thinking
about this more. By default eSpeak is built with both pulseaudio
and portaudio sound outputs. It first tryes to use pulseaudio and
if that is not available it plays its audio through portaudio thus
using alsa directly. It can't switch between this dynamically at
runtime but it at least works out what to use at initialization
what translates to when launching the application when using
python-espeak. There are no eSpeak specific features yet. Things
which are working include speaking, changing voices, changing
pitch, rate and volume. Say all support with proper progress
tracking is also working. I am not sure I like this better than
using eSpeak through speech-dispatcher like we are doing for years.
I am using this experiment for just a few hours now. I am attaching
a patch for those of you who are not afraid of risking a bit.
Please make sure you know how to revert this and troubleshoot your
system when it fails to speak. This is my first attempt at trying
to implement something into orca so it is very likelly it may have
loads of issues I even can't think of at the moment. So how to
apply it if you really want to test it out. - Install
python-espeak. If you are on arch linux, get it from the AUR. I
guess on Debian or Ubuntu you can just do apt-get install
python-espeak. With other distributions I don't know whether there
are prebuilt packages. Python-espeak is hosted on launchpad and if
there are no packages for your distro then you can get it from
there and install using python setup tools. To check whether the
patch applies cleanly into your cloned orca git tree you can run
git apply --check espeakfactory.patch If there are no conflicts
found you can then apply it by doing git apply espeakfactory.patch
After doing this you can just build and install orca like normal.

Greetings

Peter