Re: [orca-list] an empty field in the preference pages

Hey José.

On 09/13/2014 09:47 AM, José Vilmar Estácio de Souza wrote:
I found nothing in the debug file that might help.

Yes and no. You found a lack of events telling us what got focus. And
while that might not seem especially rewarding, it is helpful. It means
that Orca is not ignoring an event (even events Orca doesn't present
still show up in your debug.out). And Orca is not tripping over itself
or a bug in the app or toolkit. Orca is being told nothing and thus is
presenting nothing. More specifically, this is the one and only
accessible object event received by Orca that happened in between your
pressing and release Shift+Tab:

vvvvv PROCESS OBJECT EVENT object:state-changed:focused vvvvv
OBJECT EVENT: object:state-changed:focused             detail=(0,0,0)
    app.name='orca' name='General' role='page tab' state='enabled multi
line selectable selected sensitive showing visible' relations=''
Script for event: orca (module=orca.scripts.toolkits.gtk.script)
TOTAL PROCESSING TIME: 0.0020
^^^^^ PROCESS OBJECT EVENT object:state-changed:focused ^^^^^

Given any object:state-changed:foo event, detail1 is a boolean. 0 means
not fooed; 1 means fooed. Thus the event above tells me that the General
page tab is no longer focused. But there should also be an event with
detail1 == 1 telling us what is now focused so that Orca can present it.
You don't have that. So either you have literally moved to nothing, or
you moved to a Gtk+ widget and Gtk+ isn't telling us. Either way,
there's nothing I can do about that in Orca because all Orca knows from
the above is where you are not. That's the bad news. The good news is
that I'm nearly positive that what you are seeing is one of the several
Gtk+ bugs that the Gtk+ developers recently fixed.

For comparison, here's what I get when I press Shift+Tab. Note that I
get the same event you do, followed by one with detail1 == 1 for the
newly focused object:

vvvvv PROCESS OBJECT EVENT object:state-changed:focused vvvvv
OBJECT EVENT: object:state-changed:focused             detail=(0,0,0)
    app.name='orca' name='General' role='page tab' state='enabled multi
line selectable selected sensitive showing visible' relations=''
Script for event: orca (module=orca.scripts.toolkits.gtk.script)
TOTAL PROCESSING TIME: 0.0008
^^^^^ PROCESS OBJECT EVENT object:state-changed:focused ^^^^^

DEQUEUED OBJECT:STATE-CHANGED:FOCUSED  <----------

vvvvv PROCESS OBJECT EVENT object:state-changed:focused vvvvv
OBJECT EVENT: object:state-changed:focused             detail=(1,0,0)
    app.name='orca' name='OK' role='push button' state='enabled
focusable focused sensitive showing visible' relations=''
Script for event: orca (module=orca.scripts.toolkits.gtk.script)
LOCUS OF FOCUS: app='orca' name='OK' role='push button'
                event='object:state-changed:focused'

[speech and braille generation output deleted]

SPEECH OUTPUT: 'OK push button'
TOTAL PROCESSING TIME: 0.0045
^^^^^ PROCESS OBJECT EVENT object:state-changed:focused ^^^^^

Because your debug.out shows that another press of Shift+Tab moved you
to the OK button, I'm guessing that Gtk+ is keeping track of where you
are in the Tab order and just allowed focus to go to something that it
considers not really focusable in between the page tab and the OK button.

--joanie