Re: [orca-list] Is Orca support plug-in architecture ?

Hello,
A bit of speculation on this topic from me as well.
If you were about to create so called portable orca you would have to statically link all the libraries and include all the orca requirements and made one huge package of your results. This is highly inpractical on a modern linux distributions where all the orca requirements are packaged as a distrospecific packages. I feel orca is minimalistic in size, in terms of its enviromment, slick on performance etc. It's really powered by the accessibility API's and libraries it interfaces to. There is less space to workaround OS specific issues and / or inovate on this front since doing so is pointless because on linux issues can be usually addressed where they are coming from not frequently worked around. There are just a few hacks here and there temporarily overcoming inaccurate or missing events found in orca source code as far as I know. Terms and approaches towards portable, isolated, self contained, in process etc .... stuff are all concepts you may have noticed when watching e.g. NVDA development on Windows however these concepts are really difficult or close to inpossible to carry over to orca I believe because of the things I have just mentioned. If you were about to add some real features to orca you can either write a patch I think if it was usefull we would be all keen to have it included as soon as possible. Additionally there is orca_customizations.py file where you don't have strict API to follow however you are having access to orca internals and you can add whatewer custom scripts bound to keyboard shortcuts and I haven't really tested this my-self but I guess you can also override some events virtually doing the same thing toolkit and / or app specific orca scripts are doing. So I think there is a way we just need to get motivated to make some good use of it and be creative to inovate.

So technically all what NVDA plugins can do on Windows should be also possible with orca on linux however we don't have a nice user centric interface for managing addons.

Greetings

Peter