Re: [orca-list] XFCE?

I like XFCE alot, and if it had panels that could be seen by orca I'd likely use it as my primary desktop.
While for some users  aparently mate is using less RAM, for me, and according to all tests I've read results
from XFCE is
using less memory. It is highly configurable, and the interface is quite intuitive/quite similar to gnome2 or
Mate.
YOu must have the GTK__MODULE export line as you do for Mate somewhere so that it's taken in to account when
XFCE is
launched. I have this in my ~/.xinitrc as I use startx to launch my gui sessions on arch-linux. I also have
put the gtk
line, (or lines as some folks use two lines of configuration), in a .sh file in /etc/profile.d/. Name should
not really
matter as long is the .sh ext. is used. I call mine gtk_access.sh. There should be a qt-accessiblity.sh file
in the same
directory. I think mine was put there when I installed a qt-at-spi package.
Anyway, aside from the lack of a usable panel/systray, notifications area, what ever you want to call this,
XFCE mostly
rocks. You can and should use some gnome packages, keyrings and stuff like that, and I say best to auto-start
them.
You may run in to an issue where XFCE wants to restart any programs you were running in your last session,
especially, but
not necesarily limited to when something crashes and you restart XFCE.
Just delete all contents of
~/.cache/sessions/
when you log-out of xfce.
I wrote a little script that kills off speech-dispatcher and cleans out the sessions dir as I'm using
espeakup on this
box, not speechd-up.
There are a few more odds and ends you should deal with, but this should get you going.
Oh, I do not know if it's arch specific or not, but I had to edit a few .ini and similar configuration files
so that they
could be seen correctly with orca.
I did not make a list, but they included at least a couple of media players, VLC and totem I think, maybe
other(s) as
well.
Mangler also need an edit I think as buttons were not displayed by default.
I can't remember what if anything else, but mostly we are tal;kingabout making sure that programs did not
start with most
everything hidden, very small or miinimized.
I should have docummented these edits, or even scripted them, but did not.
I'll try and do this if I have the new to me laptop that I'm expecting come soon.
--
B.H.