Re: [orca-list] Unable to log into My Medicare .Gov

Hey Janina.

My guess is that it's the new focus mode / browse mode changes. Here's
how thing work now:

* Browse mode is for reading content; Focus mode is for interacting with
  it. You can always toggle these modes manually via Orca + A.

* If you navigate to a widget using Tab, clicking, etc., Orca will put
  you into focus mode if that widget is one where Orca commands and
  native commands conflict. The rationale is that you got there by
  native commands so Orca should not then interfere with your ability to
  interact with that widget. Based on what you described, my guess is
  that you didn't use Tab, clicking, etc. to get to that first entry.
  Which brings me to:

* If you navigate to a widget using Orca's structural navigation quick
  keys or Orca's caret navigation, Orca will put you in focus mode only
  if you have enabled Orca's setting to automatically switch to focus
  mode when using that navigation method. By default, Orca does not
  automatically switch to focus mode for either structural navigation
  quick keys or caret navigation. Assuming you haven't changed your
  preferences, which it sounds like you have not, then you'll need to
  toggle Focus mode on via Orca + A in order to input text into that
  entry.

* In the Orca prefs for Firefox (Ctrl + Orca + Space whilst in Firefox),
  on the Firefox page, you'll find the check boxes to modify the above
  settings:

  a. Automatic focus mode during caret navigation
  b. Automatic focus mode during structural navigation

  As mentioned above, both are unchecked by default.

Hopefully that will solve your immediate issue. Please let me know.

A couple more things worth noting: If you were to continue to use
non-Orca commands to navigate (e.g. Tab from that entry to a link or a
checkbox or something else that can be interacted with in Browse mode)
Orca will put you in Browse mode. This is meant to minimize your need
for manual mode switching and (I hope) will do what you expect nearly
all the time. However, you may be in a web app where you always want to
use that web app's (or browser's) native navigation no matter what. If
so you can set Focus mode to "sticky" by double-clicking Orca + A. Then
Orca will just get out of your way and stay out of it until you use Orca
+ A to return to Browse mode or load a new page within that tab.

Hope this helps!
--joanie