Re: [orca-list] Various questions about Orca and the linux world

Hello,

I have an email group called raspberry-vi freelists org, and a web site
at http://www.raspberryvi.org/

Currently the state of accessibility on the Pi is this:

The Broadcom sound-driver produces very, very bad stuttering on the Pi
and often causes a 'kernel oops'.  This is true for speakup and emacspeak.

I am writing some code to use the OMX Intergration layer, which will
allow the speakup to espeak connector 'espeakup' to render audio
directly on the GPU.  This will, or should, solve both the stuttering
and the kernel oops.

When I have the first bit finished I will also write an Emacspeak server
and a speech-dispatcher module that uses it.

The kernel oops is caused by a mechanism called the 'video core hardware
interface queue' (VCHIQ).  This mechanism queues both audio and video
data back into the Broadcom GPU.

I have today taken delivery of a Banana Pi.  But there the news is
rather worse:

1.  Currently the links to images for download are almost impossible to
find and use, not least because they have been using dropbox public
links to distribute images and dropbox have suspended the account
because of excessive traffic.

2.  The current images have no code to support sound via the
snd-bcm2835, the same driver the Pi uses.  And I think the source of
this driver is closed source.

3.  There is currently no software to make access to the pin-for-pin
identical GPIO bus available.

4.  The online community for the Banana Pi is currently very small and
mostly in Chinese.  So until it matures it is likely to be a non-starter
for non-hacker types.

Mike