Re: [orca-list] can orca work with xfce?

Just to let you know, I have speech-dispatcher working with Alsa, and
spd-say  works fine.

B. Henry <burt1iband gmail com> wrote:

So, I'm also assuming you have orca, and that it has pulled in dependencies including speech-dispatcher.
I  also assume you have configured speech-dispatcher and it passed the basic tests running spd-conf, or you
know what you
are doing and manually did all the speech dispatcher configuration. If not, then run spd-conf selecting the
configuration
you need.
I'm also assuming you have xorg packages installed. I do not know exactly what packages are called for
gentoo, so much
help if any of that is not true is beyond me.
If you have your x-server installed however and have a ~/.xinitrc file add the line I mentioned, (I put in
two, but
export GTK_MODULES=gail:atk-bridge
is enough), must be copied in there at the bottom.
Then just go to the console where you want to run the gui, I add some extras myself and startmy x-sesions
in tty9 usually,
but most common is to either use tty1, or have a desktop manager and they usually use tty7, but some use 1
as well I
think.
Anyway, let's say you have a standard 6 console setup, and you are logged-in to tty6, go there, kill
speakup with the
printscreen key or similar, and then type startx and wait.
In around 20 seconds I hear welcome to screenreader on this netbook, so most modern computers will be
faster. Again, you
may not have any more speech than that message unless you have assistive tech enabled, so borrow some eyes
for 30 seconds
so that you can get help to find that item in the settings menu. Then log-out and restart your graphical
session with
startx again and hopefully everything, or most of it anyway, will be talking.
Some .ini and .conf files in ~/.config may need tweaking to get them to dispaay in accessible ways. I do
not know how much
of what I had to do was distro specific.