[orca-list] cannot install Ubuntu 12.04

Hi,
I am running a live version of Ubuntu 12.04 on an SD card.
I am using a netbook, and I have XP on /dev/sdb.
I previously had Ubuntu 10.04 on /dev/SDA, but I removed the partition to
put this version of Ubuntu on it.
The installer still is not speaking at all with Orca.
The sighted folk around me aren't much help.
I tried unmounting /dev/sda and  that did not help.
I have tried putting a Linux partition on /dev/sda and that did not help.The
installer still says
no root file system installed
I have never had this problem in earlier versions of Ubuntu.
* I am wondering, is there a CLI based installer for this?
Thanks.

Glenn