Re: [orca-list] orca unable to read main menu

Thanks for all the help.  I will talk with our packagers and see if we can get the gnome and orca versions to
match better.  I think we are picking most of this up from redhat enterprise linux, though.

-----Original Message-----
From: am_dxer fastmail fm [mailto:am_dxer fastmail fm]
Sent: Monday, March 10, 2014 4:47 PM
To: Don Raikes; orca-list gnome org
Subject: Re: [orca-list] orca unable to read main menu

On Mon, Mar 10, 2014, at 06:48 PM, Don Raikes wrote:
Hello,

When using orca on my Oracle Linux system, if I press alt+f1, all orca
can read are the top-level menus "applications" and "places"

If I arrow down, orca says nothing, but brltty shows "gnome-shell
window".

I don't know if this because it is gnome 3.8 or if there is some kind
of configuration setting I can change to make this work.

Any help would be appreciated.
it sounds to me like your distribution has chosen to set the gnome classic session as the default. From the
gnome 3.8 release notes, gnome classic is a more traditional looking desktop that is built on gnome 3
technologies. When I tested this in gnome 3.8, I recall that orca did not read the options when using the
arrow keys as focus changed. I do remember being able to use this with flat review. If you don't want to mess
with that and can't get speech in gdm, you might be able to set the shell session as default in ~/.dmrc.
However, I remember reading somewhere that when using accountsservice which gdm does, .dmrc wasn't read but I
never tested this myself. I think the options were gnome.desktop and gnome-classic.desktop but its been a
long time since i messed with this. You might also be able to remove the gnome-classic session with your
package manager or rename the  desktop entry in /usr/share/xsessions to prevent gdm from picking it up. If
you do either of these, make sure you have the standard gnome session installed i.e you have a gnome.desktop
file in /usr/share/xsessions. Also, it looks like your distribution is shipping miss-matched versions of
gnome and orca. The version of orca you have is from gnome 3.6 and your version of gnome is 3.8. From what I
gather, quite a lot changed in the stack between these two versions so you might get weird bugs running this
combination.