Re: [orca-list] installing Ubuntu 12.04 help needed

Glenn <glennervin cableone net> wrote:
I am installing it on /dev/sda.
I have had Ubuntu 10.04 on this partition before on this computer.
Previously, I only had /dev/sda, but I created a 4 GB partition for it, the
full size of /dev/sda, it is /dev/sda1.
But it still comes back and says no root file system is installed.
Since it is not talking, I don't know how to guide the sighted folks doing
this for me.

I only know the Debian installer, which lets you specify the mount point of
each partition. In this case, with only one partition, you simply specify / as
the mount point. You then need to install Grub to /dev/sda to make the boot
process work. This is done near the end of the installation procedure. I hope
Ubuntu is similar to Debian, but I have my suspicions it may not be.

Your other alternative would be to boot a rescue environment such as GRML,
which is very accessible, then use Debootstrap and do the installation
manually. again, I don't know how well Ubuntu does this; Debian can be
installed this way - I've done it.

Note that GRML uses BRLTTY and Speakup; it doesn't load GNOME or Orca, so it's
somewhat off-topic for this list.