Re: [orca-list] State of accessibility in Ubuntu 14.

I'd highly recommend you try ubuntu-gnome 14.04 instead of the straight Ubuntu trusty that uses unity as
there are still
rather serious problems making it uncomfortable to use with speech at best. Even if some of those issues are
fixed from
what I hear from people who know  this version of unity is not that great as far as accessability
possibilities.  If
anyone knows differently, please correct me, but unless I'm very wrong I'd either install the gnome version
of trusty or
wait till Vinux5 comes out and see whether it uses unity or gnome.
You could install ubuntu-gnome now, make a separate /home partition, (something I always do now and recommend
to most
people), and then when vinux5 comes out or even a "fixed" stock ubuntu, and install that leaving my /home
directory in
tact from the ubuntu-gnome installation. If this means switching to unity then you could install with a new
user-name and
copy unity related files and directories to the old user's $/HOME dir or just use the new user when you want
unity and the
old one for gnome.
While thankfully orca does now work pretty well with a few desktops besides gnome, orca is a gnome project
and
accessibility will likely always be the best with gnome. If it's not better accessibility with gnome will
certainly be as
good as any alternative for the foreseeable future.
For now, while accessibility with gnome is the best it is good for the most part with Mate. Accessibility is
good with
unity for the most part except for the dash, hud results and  a couple otherminor issues that slip my mind at
the moment,
at least that's what I've found personally. XFCE works very well, but there is one very major problem. Panels
and the
desktop are not read by orca. I have to check battery state, connections, weather and so forth by other
means. LXDE is
somewhat accessible, but I do not know specifics as I've not tried it at all for a couple of years, and
according to some
things I read it seems that there is some accessibiity with KDE. These are the alternatives that I know of.
--
B.H.