[orca-list] Gnome 3.10 on Ubuntu 13.10

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/12/upgrade-gnome-3-10-ubuntu-13-10

Hi, folks,

I ran across this article on getting a proper gnome 3.10 going on Ubuntu 13.10 and thought I’d post here.  Basically, you have to add a couple of ppa’s and run a few apt-get install commands.  I’m going to try this myself in preparation for a bare metal installation of Linux on a pc I recently purchased.  Right now, though, I’m trying to iron out all the UEFI crap and the Secure Boot mess that comes with windows 8 pre-installed machines.  If you haven’t tried this, be prepared for an exquisite, acute and colossal pain in the tenderest part of your back side.  Disabling secure boot and getting your machine to boot Linux with UEFI can’t be done without sighted assistance afaik.  Get ready for lots of reading too as there’s a very particular process you need to follow.  I’m a little upset that I can’t use Debian like I wanted to and have to use Ubuntu since it seems, by far, the more painless of the two options for this sort of thing.  I’m going to be running a server from the house and Debian is much more to my likeing for it than Ubuntu because I don’t like the fact that I have to install the desktop version of Ubuntu for this.  Anyone know if the Ubuntu Server installation process can be done w/o sighted assistance?

Alex M