Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 11:43:31 -0600
From: Alex Midence <alex midence gmail com>
To: "'Glenn'" <glennervin gmail com>, <orca-list gnome org>
Subject: Re: [orca-list] Ubuntu 13.10 i386 live

Do a control alt t for terminal and type spd-say hello to see if speech
dispatcher is at fault.
Then, try espeak 'hello' to see if it's espeak.  Hitting the down arrow on
the terminal should produce a sourt of thump sound which, if you hear it,
means your audio is working fine but your speech software has issues.  Also,
in 13.10, control s in Unity is replaced with super+alt+s to conform to how
Gnome does things now.  Have you hit super+alt+s to turn screen reader on in
your login session as well as the lightdm display manager?

Alex M