Re: [orca-list] Your comments on bug 735671 - Automatically start screen reader if the user is idle for a while (in gnome initial-setup)

The main issue we face changing the shortcut to one available in Windows
is that there are multiple shortcuts for different screen readers. For
now, we use alt+super+s, s of course representing screen reader. Windows
has multiple screen readers, each with its own shortcut, usually
alt+control+n for NVDA, I think alt+control+j for Jaws, although I
haven't even sat down in front of a computer that was running it for
over 10 years, so I may be wrong about that one, and Window Eyes didn't
have a shortcut as I recall when I ran its demo, again over 10 years
ago. So in a perfect world, we should be able to start Orca with any or
all of these, plus whatever the PC keyboard equivalent would be for the
Voiceover key, alt+control+o to represent Orca, and the Narrator key.
However, I'm just not sure that something like this can be done without
a ton of new custom shortcuts that all run Orca. Taking that into
consideration, it's best to keep what we have, as alt+super+s is already
more intuitive and logical than super+enter, super+f5 or whatever that
equivalent key would be, since I only saw that as an option here, or any
other combination of keys that includes a letter that begins the name of
any other screen reader, with the exception of o, which stands for Orca.
Hope this helps.
~Kyle
http://kyle.tk/
--