Re: [orca-list] Which versions of Mint?

It is not that Mint developers are unaware about this, but seems accessibility has taken a backseet there for ever.
On Saturday 16 August 2014 11:02 AM, B. Henry wrote:
None,
Who told you that mint was accessible?
It has never been, and there's no work to make it so.
I did not think orca even came on it by default.
Perhaps configured with mate, the latest so you get mate 1.8, and of course with all orca dependencies and
acessibility
stack components installed it will mostly work, but I've not heard of anyone doing this.
Just put mate on debian or Ubuntu and you'll have as good as the best you could hope for from mint unless
there's some
secret floating around.
Just trying one distro after another with out investagation first will not get you a good accessibility
experience.
There are no hidden gyms out there that no screenreader-using blind folk know about.
There are out of the box accessible distros that may be improved with some careful and thoughtful
configuration, and other
distros that need a lot of configuration to get an accessible GUI, and others that don't even have a way to
enable an
accessible CLI with out major work done with no speech feedback.
Good luck,but you'll advance much faster I think if you spent half of the time you spend trying
distro/releases that are
either no
longer supported and do not support any new accessibility software, and other distros or releases that are
just not
accessible on learning how to effectively use one of the good options we have.
Otherwise, learn how to code at a high enough level that inaccessible distros will want your contributions
and you can
have an influance toward making them screenreader friendly.
Regards,
--
B.H.