Re: [orca-list] Setting up an accessible LXDE (fwd)

jude <jdashiel shellworld net>

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2013 13:13:33
From: Kyle <kyle4jesus gmail com>
To: orca-list gnome org
Subject: Re: [orca-list] Setting up an accessible LXDE

I have worked with XFCE on Arch, and it mostly works, especially on
older machines. The thing I noticed is that if Pulseaudio is not
installed, which is not a hard dependency of XFCE, Orca will die shortly
after it starts, and then dies at random unless speech-dispatcher is
killed manually, forcing a restart of speech-dispatcher. Pulseaudio
apparently solves this problem, for an as yet unknown reason. And then
there's the panel, desktop and file manager not speaking, and I'm not
sure when that will be fixed. Apparently, the panel issues are also in
LXDE, although they do not share a common codebase. Strangely, although
I could get XFCE speaking in Arch, I haven't been able to get it
speaking in Manjaro yet, which is based on Arch. Not sure what the
problem is there, but it just doesn't work. The Orca welcome message is
spoken, but then it doesn't speak at all. We may not be doing much with
XFCE in Sonar, at least not in the very near future, as we're looking
mostly at getting gnome-shell, flashback and LXDE working.

I haven't yet looked at LXDE myself, but I will eventually, as it is on
the todo list for Sonar. Jonathan has worked somewhat with it, and has
found that it still performs well, even after adding Nautilus and
replacing NetworkManager with Wicd for better accessibility when
connecting to wireless networks. He may be committing something to the
Sonar git repo now that I have been able to fix the major installer
problems we were having.
~Kyle
http://kyle.tk/
--