Re: [orca-list] The SayAll user experience

I would say my answer to question 1 would be option B, just read the document text. I'd also say I feel pretty strongly about this.

For question 3, I think the thing I like most about say all is that it pretty much works. Once I get to the start of an article on a web page, I can just hit say all and take my hands away from the keyboard. It seems to bog down from time to time, but it generally keeps going, and it's the most efficient way to read an article or a document.

I think the thing I like least about say all is that it doesn't behave like option B in question 1. I have to hear words like "heading" and "list" and "link". It also seems to slow down when it gets to certain chunks of the web page. These two things make reading an article a bit slower and more tedious.

To a lesser degree, I also don't like how the say all command is interrupted with live region monitoring and other notifications, although this isn't a big deal. Ideally, I could kick off a say all and not have it interrupted at all. If it needs to be interrupted, it might be nice if a voice change could be used for the notification or maybe a beep, so there's a clearer auditory distinction between the text of the document and the text of the notification.

I know you said we can't have our cake and eat it too, but for those times when I'm reading a document I'm editing, and I want to read it pretty closely, maybe there could be a proof reading command that would keep some of the structural information while reading out the document. For me at least, this would be a lower priority feature request, since I could still get this by arrowing around and using structural navigation, which I'm going to want to do much of the time any way if I'm editing the document.

Thanks for the opportunity to provide the input.