Re: [orca-list] installing orca with debian

There is.  You can either go to the debian wheezy page and get an installer from there, which includes a
text-based installer that will talk with
speakup.  To use this install, boot the disk and wait for it to stop spinning, or wait for the system beep if
you are using a USB drive.  Then press
lowercase s and return.  The installer will come up talking and you can do an install over the network which
will include orca.

Now, when you boot into the graphical desktop for the first time, it gets a little tricky.  If you do not
have any light perception, when you boot
into the new system, press the enter key on the keypad or the caps loc-enter combination to stop speakup from
talking.  Then you might need a little
sighted help to do this.  I did for the first time, but I can do it well now.

When the login screen for gnome comes up, press return, enter your password, then tab once.  You will be in a
combo box to set up your session type.
You can have either gnome shell or gnome classic.  I set mine to classic.

When you have done this, hit space to close the combo box and then shift tab back up to where you have
entered your password.  Then hit return.  When
you have waited a few seconds, depending on the speed of your machine, press alt-f2 and then key in orca.
You should hear orca talking after this.
Now you can set up all your configurations including adding orca to your startup applications.

Hope this helps.

--
Doug Smith: Special Agent
S.W.A.T  Spiritual Warfare and Advanced Technology