Re: [orca-list] VMWare (was: how accessible is a dual boot system?)

use virtualbox instead

-----Ursprungligt meddelande-----
Från: orca-list [mailto:orca-list-bounces gnome org] För John G. Heim
Skickat: den 13 maj 2013 15:54
Till: Josh Kennedy
Kopia: orca-list gnome org
Ämne: [orca-list] VMWare (was: how accessible is a dual boot system?)

Running linux with Windows as a VMWare virtual machine has worked well
for me.  I use VMWare Workstation 8. A cool thing is that you can
cut/paste back and forth from linux to a Windows VM. So for example, if
you have to use IE to access some web site and you want to cut/paste a
code example into gedit, you can do that.

Another cool thing is that you can change BIOS settings by editing the
virtual machine text file. So you can change the boot order, for example

by adding/editing  a line in the text file for the VM.

There are a couple of things that are inaccessible in orca because they
have to run as root. So they ask for your root password but after you
type it in, the app that runs is inaccessible to orca. These apps are
the ones to compile the kernel modules and the one to enter the license
key. I found a way to enter the license key at the command line on the
debian wiki. But I also posted about it on the vmware web site in one of

the forumns. When I need to remind myself how to do that, I just google
for my own post.

The only thing you might need sighted assistance for is compiling the
kernel modules. I think there is some way to do it at the command line.
I came across a note on how to do that  once but at the time I wasn't
able to save it. Instead, what I've done the last few times I've
installed VMWare Workstation is open a gnome terminal window and run the

app via sudo, "sudo vmware". The app is still inaccessible but I've
always managed to complete the compilation by pressing tab and enter
randomly until it worked.

Anyway, except for those 2 fairly minor problems, running Windows in a
VM works pretty well with orca.  The vmware app itself isn't 100%
accessible but it's good enough to get productive work done.