Re: [orca-list] updating espeak

Alex, does the higher speeds in espeak apply for all languages or just English?

Thanks,

Fernando

On 05/02/2013 12:30 PM, Alex Midence wrote:
It shouldn't.  I've done this before once or twice.  I stopped because I
couldn't notice any real difference in my day to day usage that justified
the headache.  You have to download the source code, compile it either
againste Pulse or Alsa depending on your distribution which means modifying
the makefile, and then hope and pray that you don't lose speech or that
stuff that used to work doesn't suddenly stop working so well.  Only reason
I did it before was to compile Espeak against Pulse and include the Sonic
libraries by Bill Cox which let you increase your speech output to insanely
fast rates like 6 and 7 hundred wpm and still retain clarity.  This was
supposed to make my Emacspeak experience better.  It was OK but I stopped
messing with it once I ran a distro without Pulse to make a hash of things.
Also, I only did it after having successfully installed and gotten Festival
to run as a backup so Orca would have something to speak with.  My
recommendation would be to not mess with it as you can really screw yourself
over if something goes wrong.

My two cents,
Alex M