Re: [orca-list] [Kde-accessibility] Ubuntu Unity Desktop to go to Mir and QT

Wonderful news!  I certainly feel better for it.  Thanks for all your hard work on qt-at-spi.

Alex M

From: Frederik Gladhorn [mailto:frederik gladhorn de]
Sent: Wednesday, July 24, 2013 3:21 AM
To: kde-accessibility kde org
Subject: Re: [Kde-accessibility] Ubuntu Unity Desktop to go to Mir and QT

Hello,

On Tuesday 23. July 2013 13.23.47 Alex Midence wrote:

> Hi, all,

> It looks like Ubuntu's Unity desktop will be switching to QT/QML in the near

> future. It looks like they'll be using QT5. Does anyone know the current

> state of accessibility for qt5 or QML? We were all disappointed to find

> out that Unity 2d was discontinued in Ubuntu 12.04 and it is believed that

> Ubuntu 14.04 would continue it's wonderfully accessible legacy. This was

> supposed to soothe our ruffled feathers when 12.10 and 13.04 came out with

> Unity 3d only which was not as accessible. Well, now, I am curious to know

> if the timetable for that level of accessibility in a Ubuntu desktop will

> need to be pushed back even more in light of this development. Please see

> link below:

Qt 5 contains all the accessibility code that was used for Qt 4, including the plugin qt-at-spi which will then no longer be needed. Many things have also been improved since we learned from finally making Qt 4 accessible.

All in all this means that the Qt 5 based Unity should be able to reach the level of the old Unity and hopefully exceed it. Of course that's still up to the Unity developers and probably a fix here or there in Qt, but generally I would expect things to look good.

Greetings

Frederik