[orca-list] orca and mate/xfce/lxde

Hello,
I'm trying to get orca working with either mate, LXDE, or XFCE.
mate :
I'm able to start orca from .xinitrc with a line to set the GTK_MODULES environment variable to gail:atk-bridge
Then, from a terminal, I can start, for example, mate-control-center which reads fine, but trying to open a menu fails.
lxde loads, reads the menu, but lxterm or other lxde apps don't read.
xfce loads, but I can't open the menu with ctrl+esc I just get a menu about launchers and not the normal "terminal emulator, file manager, mail reader, web browser, etc" menu.
I'm on debian wheezy, tried sid and experimental versions of these packages with still no luck.

my .xinitrc file looks like :
export GTK_MODULES=gail:atk-bridge
exec mate-session
#or