[orca-list] getting orca to start

Hi everyone I have successfully set up a ubuntu server with the ubuntu desktop. When i run the command orca i see all the info about the screen reader as far as how to up the volume what not. However im hearing nothing speak to me. I know my sound card works for my kid watches youtube on the same server and such. Can anyone tell me what might be going on and why im not hearing my screen reader? Thanks so much.