Re: [orca-list] Using Ubuntu 12.10

You have to get Festival outputting through pulse audio first and
then, you need to run festival as a server.  There was a very involved
disussion on how to do this on the vinux support list you may wish to
search for.  They are on googlegroups so, just go to
www.googlegroups.com and find the forum and then just search the
archives.  After tons of research and lots of time spent tweaking this
and that, editing files and testing it, losing all speech at times and
bailing myself out with console speech, I got as far as getting
festival to output through festival and accessible to Orca as a synth
using gnome-speech but never got it to work with speech dispatcher.
When I did get it to work with gnome-speech, I found it was a
disappointment in that the speech wasn't all that great compared to
all the trouble I went to to get it to work.  The voices got shaky
when I listened to them at high speeds, they'd talk over one another
if I tried navigating quickly through dialogs and just did not perform
as reliably as espeak did.  Espeak may have a robotic voice that isn't
always the  most pleasant to hear but it's 100% reliable and painless
to get working.  Get the Sonic libraries in there form Bill cox and
you can really speed it up to unbelievable speeds and still understand
it.  I once got as high as like 650 with it and still understood what
it was saying.

Regards,
Alex M