Re: [orca-list] Even after a system reinstalation, Orca does not speak

A very good way to test if sound itself is the problem on your system is by seeing if you can get espeak to talk by having it echo a string.  Here is what you do:

Once you are sure you have gnome up, type alt+f2 and type gnome-terminal in that field.  From the command prompt which, I'm assuming is going to be there, type this:

espeak 'hello'

If you hear espeak say hello, you have sound and even speech.  Next, test speech dispatcher.  Type this:

spd-say 'hello'

If speech dispatcher is working and espeak itself is working, then, it is indeed orca that is the culprit.  The fact that you have your same home folder form before your system re-install means you probably have some setting or other that is messing things up.  Try this:

apt-get purge gnome-orca

Then, try:

apt-get install gnome-orca

The first will completely remove Orca with configuration files.  The second will, of course, reinstall it.  You wil want sighted assistance for all of this if you do not have console speech.  If you have Ubuntu that is not a Vinux 10.04 modification, you do not have speech in the console.  Actually, Vinux 3.2 based on 11.04 was the last to have  this working well.

I'd hesitate to go through with an upgrade to 12.04 or 12.10 until you have your current box speaking.  Those are long, drawn-out affairs and you probably won't have a sighted person willing to hang around for the duration.

Once you get this working, however you do this, I would strongly recommend having a solution to get speech in the console and maybe even Emacspeak.  I use Espeakup, myself.  I don't like too much depending on speech dispatcher.  I also have Emacspeak.  So, no matter what, I can always get to a talking terminal and, I can always do some work.  If Orca goes on the blink, I use cli apps in console while I troubleshoot and so forth.

HTH,
Alex M